Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Figure of the Day: Day 1,285: Antares Draco

ANTARES DRACO and Ganner Krieg
The Legacy Collection Comic Packs
Item No.:
Asst. 87504 No. 87696
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #05
Includes: Lightsaber, comic, Ganner Krieg figure
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $12.99
Availability: July 2008
Appearances: Star Wars: Legacy comic books

Bio: Imperial Knights Antares Draco and Ganner Krieg go on an unauthorized mission to save Marasiah Fel, the daughter of Emperor Roan Fel. The Sith hope to capture the deposed emperor by threatening Sia's life, but Roan refuses to risk a rescue attempt. Draco cannot stand by and let the woman he loves fall into the hands of the Sith, even though he knows he and Krieg will be walking into a trap. (Taken from the figure's cardback.)

Image: Adam's yard.

Commentary: This was an interesting release because it was one of the first Legacy (comic series, and also toy line) releases. Antares Draco... well, he didn't have a great personality, but he did a lot of fighting and showed up a few times to do some stuff. The same body was used for Ganner Krieg (his partner in the pack) and each have about 14 joints, a cloth cape, and a crappy hood that sort of goes up over their heads. It's not exactly spectacular, but the figure itself looks pretty good overall. I mean, how many "clear" or "white" lightsabers do you have? Probably not many. And Imperial Knights are a neat idea, even if (like a lot of Jedi or hero characters) they're pretty darned dull most of the time. Blah blah honor, blah blah defend, blah blah gonna nail this chick. The sculpt is good, the articulation is good, so if you like the comic series and generally like the design, this is a quality product. The hair sculpt is pretty good, he seems a lot more lively than a lot of other figures and as comic characters go, does seem to be a little more human than some designs. Ultimately, I'd say go ahead and get one if you can. Krieg looks a lot more like an SCA reject, and any more jokes I'd make about his hair would probably get me an angry email from someone I used to know who may or may not be out there somewhere. SO. Let's just buy this set, shall we?

Collector's Notes: Can you get this set for (or under) $10? Do it. More than that? I'd say your love for the comic should determine that. It looks like at press time, we're only going to get about a dozen Legacy characters, so why not get 'em all? It's not a tall order... yet.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 1,285: May 18, 2010

1 comment:

Boba Fettuccini said...

I'm late to the party, but I gotta say... aside from the absolutely horrible cape/hood, this is a great figure. I don't read Legacy (first 5 issues disgusted me) but I like the concept of Imperial Knights, and when I found the set on clearance, I grabbed it. I don't care for the guy himself, so I used the head for a custom, I removed the cape, and I'm awaiting the discovery of a good head to make some original Imperial Knight characters.