Thursday, November 10, 2011

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 1,672: Aerial Recon Trooper

AERIAL RECON TROOPER Bantha Squad Clone Trooper
The Clone Wars Anti-Hailfire Droid Battle Pack
Item No.:
Asst. 94743 No. 19680
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: n/a
Includes: Blaster, firing rocket, non-firing rocket, backpack, helmet, stand, more figures
Action Feature: Firing rocket pack
Retail: $24.99
Availability: June 2010
Appearances: The Clone Wars

Bio: Aerial recon troopers monitor the enemy forces from the air and relay the location of the hailfire droids to their squad members on the ground. (Taken from the figure's packaging.)

Image: Adam's old kitchen.

Commentary: Hasbro, at times, is allowed to make up some original designs for its toys in this line. I'm fairly confident that Bantha Squad's Aerial Recon Trooper is one of these, made up of bits and pieces of other figures from 2008 and beyond. The torso seems to be based on (or similar to) figures from 2009, the helmet was previously used on Echo, and the body is similar to that used for the basic 2008 Rex, Cody, and troopers.

What's really neat about this set is the armor design. The dark green color is complimented by a beige, and the jetpack is just plain cool. What I love is the Bantha motif, with horns on his helmet and other Bantha-esque elements on the other members of his team. This is my favorite figure from the set, and I wish I had lots more just like it. (I even got an extra of this Battle Pack which I'll probably crack open after I finish moving in to my basement.) It's already standing around on a shelf because, well, it's awesome. That's a good enough reason right?

I like this set a lot. I've got too dang many clones but I really like this one a lot. Get it if you can!

Collector's Notes: This set sat around a bit in 2010, but now it's starting to dry up. I don't expect it will ever be reissued-- Hasbro has been stingy bringing back most of its Clones since 2009-- but I would love to see it repackaged as an individually carded figure. I guarantee kids would buy it.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 1,672: November 10, 2011

No comments: