Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 2,031: Yoda

YODA with Yoda's Jedi Attack Fighter
The Yoda Line Class I Vehicles
Item No.:
Asst. A0918 No. A0922
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: n/a
Includes: Jedi Attack Fighter, cane, lightsaber, booster seat, Super Battle Droid, cloth robes
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $19.99
Availability: January 2013
Appearances: n/a

Bio: Yoda pilots an attack fighter to blast Super Battle Droids. The fighter is designed for hyperspace capability, which allows the Jedi Master to fly across the galaxy on solo missions. The craft's compact size and two missile launchers make it an ideal attack ship for Yoda to use in battle against the ever-present Battle Droid army. (Taken from the figure's packaging.)

Image: Adam's photo hole.

Commentary: Many people have told me I'm a bad person for finding this Yoda figure to be charming despite its flaws.  Yes, I know the very idea that Yoda needs an attack vehicle goes against most of what we perceive his character to be, but I think it's funny - sort of like that quasi-bandit version from 2003.  He has jointed wrists, hips, elbows, and a moving neck plus cloth robes, a cane, and a lightsaber.  The head communicator gear is non-removable, but it's fitting given most "pilot" figures.  His eyes are a little big, had Hasbro made smaller black dots I think this would be a more widely accepted figure.  Oh, and his cloth robes are a little big, but they tend to be at this scale.

The figure is similar to many Yodas in the marketplace, specifically from Revenge of the Sith as you've got ball-jointed shoulders.  His tiny hands can grip his accessories just fine, but it's hard to get beyond the fact that they really, really are tiny.  He has no problem sitting in his vehicle (thanks to a booster seat) and as such, it meets my criteria for being a good figure.  I don't need it to be great - just make it so it can play well, and I won't complain too much.  It seems durable and I appreciate that the new head makes it unique, although the main reason I like this figure is really because the set as a whole is a lot of fun.  The droid dome, vehicle, and robot victim all come together to make a nice package.

Collector's Notes: The set is most likely being sold at a store near you right now. Go get one!

--Adam Pawlus


Day 2,031: March 27, 2013



1 comment:

Elias of "Customs for the Kid" said...

Agreed! Love this toy! Especially the removable astro dome! I may pick up an extra one of these to fix the flaws on the Yoda figure then use the rest for custom fodder. I want at least my original to be Hasbro's version. Take it from a 9 year old, buy this toy.