The Vintage Collection 3 3/4-Inch Action Figure Set
Item No.: No. F9259
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: n/a
Includes: Blaster
Action Feature: Blaster
Retail: $54.99
Availability: July 2024
Appearances: Ahsoka
Bio: The Night Troopers were stormtroopers who served Grand Admiral Thrawn during his exile on the extragalactic planet Peridea, comprising the majority of his forces. (Stolen from Wookieepedia.)
Image: Adam's photo lab.
Availability: Click here to buy it at Amazon now!
Click here to buy it at eBay now!
Commentary: As I finish up reviewing the many (many) figures around my desk, which will never end, let's look at the third Night Trooper from 2024. This one has a gray jaw with a lot of red wrappings, and is the only trooper in the set to have an unwrapped chest. (Well, other than Enoch.) It's funny looking back on the set - and show - with a tinge of "Maybe George Lucas was right." In the 1990s, we got a lot of stories in comics and in video games, plus a few novels - there were no TV shows and only one single new movie. By keeping things tight, fans were always left wanting more and we were really never left wanting for a new monthly or bimonthly adventure of some sort since 1991. There was really no reason to compare the new stories to the old stuff, because the medium was different. Shadows of the Empire delighted a lot of new fans on their own terms, on a Nintendo 64 or PC, or at the book store, or comic shop. You could have a new story, and not have to worry too much about a budget or the potential of changing anyone's opinion on a legacy.
Ahsoka season one wrapped three years ago in October, and left me kind of cold. I liked the concepts, I liked the costume, I liked the toys. But Thrawn may be a better character for the page, and I can't help but think I might have had more fun swinging lightsabers at an Xbox or doing some sort of Jedi training under Ahsoka. As a passive observer we got an incomplete story, and it will have been nearly four years between seasons. The entire sequel trilogy wrapped in four years, and I may be alone in saying that while I appreciated visiting with Mon Mothma, C-3PO, Sabine, and of course Ahsoka, I get the same kind of warm fuzzies from a toy or a comic. No matter how good the show is, it makes more homework for new fans and Star Wars managed to do a lot with its coursework of three (or six) movies in terms of cultivating a massive, hungry fanbase.
But, like I said, we got some cool costumes. Hasbro mixed and matched its "mummy" Stormtrooper parts and pieces in this set, and it's a pity Enoch ate a slot - otherwise I might've bought a second to swap parts between figures. This one has a distinctive white helmet with gray jaw, plus lots of gold filler. The red wrapping exists on every limb, but not the upper torso. Some subtle red wrap exists above his belt, on both shins, on both forearms, on the upper left arm, and of course the upper right thigh. Hasbro did a nice job giving us an army builder set where no two figures are the exact same mold - but enough parts are mixed and matched that it's effectively two figures in unique configurations. I bet they could sell slightly different versions again, were they so inclined. The red wrap is nicely painted, and the gold looks good. I hope it lasts for the ages as some gold painted figures sort of molds with age, or at least, that's what I saw in Fisher-Price Adventure People's space lines.
This figure uses the same basic mold we've been getting for roughly a decade. It's the best super-articulated Stormtrooper we've had to date, with better bending elbows and crisp details - but it also has those older-style hip joints and I still hate those. They're bad for getting figures to sit, but they hold up well in a diorama. Which is more important? Well, I don't hear stories of kids buying figures and vehicles these days, so we're probably throttling what would've been a potential market with how the adult crew prefers things. Comparing this older mold to newer figures from competitors in the American market, Hasbro's figures are generally superior. (I can't speak to Hiya, I haven't been buying theirs.) I really love Mattel's daffy Jurassic World creations, but they're a little puffier. But, they're also cheaper and have great hip joints and wonderful vehicle compatibility. You can't have it all, I suppose.
I really like this set. Now that we're post-tariffs (I hope) it's worth noting that this is a good deal on the secondary market, often selling under $45 for four figures. Unless you demand cardbacks, this is actually a really good deal in the modern marketplace. I'd recommend picking one up this year before the show comes back and makes people go "Oh, I should buy that." That was how I did things in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and it worked nicely for me.
Collector's Notes: I got mine from Entertainment Earth. But they're sold out, so use the Amazon sponsored link.
--Adam Pawlus
Day 3,365: July 23, 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment