R0-M1 & RJ-83
Star Wars Droid Factory
Item No.: ???
Manufacturer: Disney
Number: n/a
Includes: Mini RJ-83 Droid, card, RX head
Action Feature: Comes apart
Retail: $19.99
Availability: August 2025
Appearances: Young Jedi Adventures
Bio: All different types of droids populate the Star Wars galaxy. Each droid is different and has their own unique personality and colors. These droids can be found in the Tenoo Jedi Temple training area. Join R0-M1 and RJ-83 on their adventures throughout the galaxy. May the Force be with you... and your Droids! (Taken from the packaging.)
Image: Adam's photo lab.
Availability: Click here to buy it at eBay now!
Commentary: This is another weird one, because I've never actually watched Young Jedi Adventures. If we were in a year with no other stuff to watch, I'd be checking it out. There's too much variety (and too small portions) for various shows, so all I can judge R0-M1 & RJ-83 on are their own merits. And because they're separate characters, I'm going to do separate reviews. Sure, one is more of an accessory, but with a unique name and paint and articulation? That's two figures in my book.
When I saw the preview picture for the purple R0-M1, I was immediately annoyed. It was good! I am not particularly interested in the High Republic era, nor did Wookieepedia explain what this droid's deal was. All I can do is say is that they look like they could have been on "The Great Heep" and that's reason enough for me to want it. It looks good with other animated droids, and fits in some vehicles. I found it fits well in the ARC-170 and TVC Y-Wing, but doesn't fit so well in most X-Wing or Jedi Starfighter sockets.So what do you get? A whole new droid. The dome is removable, and you can pop it on other bodies. Just know that the dome is short, so you'll see some exposed droid guts. The legs are removable, and a little wobbly. Each one has wheels, and there's a third leg socket underneath. No third leg is included, but it's nice to have hooks for future customs or other releases. The figure is mostly cast in white with purple panels. As far as I can tell, it closely matches the TV show. There's a big black eye, there are purple antennae, you even get little painted treads on the feet. But you don't get the rocket booster underneath, or the extra neck articulation implied by the picture on the cardback.
The paint is surprisingly good. There are all sorts of purple boxes, plus dark purple marks in the light purple panels. You can see various painted vents and lights, and everything seems to be pretty sharp. This is one of Disney's best decorated little robots, and odds are a lot of fans will never bother with it because it's basically an adult collectible of a preschool toy.
The figure's head has a few connection ports. You can't really put R2-D2's head on the R0-M1 socket, but you can put some very small hats or stars in the hat socket in the dome. There are also two foot pegs on the dome to place RJ-83, so that's nice.
The purple robot doesn't do much, but you get a lot of painted parts and two characters for your money. I think this is a better figure for "toy collectors" than "Star Wars collectors," because it has little purpose in the context of any movie-specific collection. The set is perfect to hang out with other droids or in the background of your shelves, and is just distinctive enough to be fun. If I were a little kid, I'd want it. If you can get it at a fair price, buy one. But also be aware it's pretty small, about 2 1/4-inches tall. This makes it about the same size as a $2.99 Blokees Defender-class figure, and those have 14 points of articulation. Star Wars collecting is not a particularly good value as hobbies go. If you want bang for your buck, check out any second-hand store or clearance depot and get yourself some Black Series at prices that would make your past self weep.
Collector's Notes: I got mine from Shop Disney. It sold out very quickly, and I am beginning to wonder if they have a time limit rather than a quantity limit on these things.
--Adam Pawlus
Day 3,377: September 3, 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment