Thursday, September 17, 2026

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 3,381: Lieutenant Callahan (The Vintage Collection)

LIEUTENANT CALLAHAN
The One, The Only

The Vintage Collection 3 3/4-Inch basic figure
Item No.:
Asst. G2786 No. G1241
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #351
Includes: Helmet, blaster
Action Feature: Removable helmet
Retail: $19.99
Availability: July 2025
Appearances: Star Wars: Ahsoka

Bio: A New Republic E-wing pilot, Lieutenant Callahan and her droid KE4-N4 aid Governor Ryden Azadi on the world of Lothal. (Taken from the cardback.)

Image: Adam's photo lab.

Availability: Click here to buy it at eBay now!

Click here to buy it at Amazon now!

Commentary:
After a few decades, it can be worth examining "why." Lieutenant Callahan takes up a slot in a line where, typically, Disney+ content sometimes struggles to sell and we have far more pilots than vehicles. In this case, she seems to be holding a decent price on the secondary market, and I haven't seen her marked down in clearance shops. That's good! She has a unique blue New Republic flight suit, which adapts the existing X-Wing pilot mold with a few clever changes. That's also good! Sure, she's not a droid or an alien, but she serves a function. And I'll take a figure that fills a void in my toy collection any day of the week.

I'd be grouchy if we got this figure with no plans for an E-wing, but we got an E-wing fighter that was pretty good. She fits in it easily, and that matters. The mold makes use of an existing The Vintage Collection body, which I thought would tick me off because some of those older hips are kind of horrible. For this release, Hasbro used a plastic with less friction so I was able to easily bend the legs forward with no real problems. The straps didn't get in the way. She seemed functionally better than other figures with this particular style of hip joint, and if Hasbro can deploy more older figures with this smoother movement I'm all for it. I've been keen to never see this older hip joint style again because it was unpleasant on most older figures, but here? Smooth as butter. The neck, arms, knees, ankles, and everything else also move nicely. I have no complaints here.

 

The figure makes use of a lot of old parts - and that's fine. Why? So did Lucasfilm. The flight suit seems to be a pretty generic jumpsuit, and Lucasfilm often reused the same basic suits (or very similar ones) for various costumes. Maybe the color changed, and I would say it's close enough to what we see on screen that it was a sensible choice. The gloves on the figure may not be a precise match for the show, but this figure's purpose is to be a pilot for a vehicle (sold separately.) The boots, head, vest, and hanging straps are all new parts that look pretty great. The buttons and greeblies on her chest console match the prop quite nicely. The pouch and hoses match. The only thing I think may not match are the code cylinders. The figure has them on the arm, the costume has them on the belt. Would I notice without seeing the image on Wookieepedia? No. I don't know that I would have budgeted for more parts were I in Hasbro's position either, so I'm glad they spent money making the cool white boots and a photoreal head.

I don't know much about actress Michele Weaver but she has been in a lot and the figure seems to do a decent job matching her person. The figure's hair is the tiniest bit fluffier, sculpted tightly and painted well.

Her accessories include a blue helmet with IKEA-like yellow highlights and a clear visor. It looks like the photos, it even has the chin strap. The plastic piece that goes over the chin is black on the figure, and white on the show. Otherwise, it looks like the Hasbro team got it and at this size, I'm not going to complain.

My opinion of the show's overly expository nature for its first season hasn't improved much, but I like all the toys Hasbro made for it.

We don't always get the most exciting characters on the show - I mean, I'm biased for droids and witches - but we got one that adds to the toy box and that matters. We got a ship, and the ship needs a pilot. This one meets my requirements and more or less meets my expectations. Parts reuse are an ugly part of the modern collector toy business, but I'm picking at nits here. If we got Kenner-style Retro figures that are off-model, I'd say it's part of the charm. On one hand, we have high expectations at the $20 price point and on the other, it doesn't bother me that the arm and the belt were tweaked a bit to keep costs down. The colors, vest, head, and helmet are all very good and that's what I need in a pilot figure. I'd recommend getting her if you skipped her and like Ahsoka-era New Republic stuff.  

Collector's Notes: I got mine from Entertainment Earth.

--Adam Pawlus



Day 3,381: September 17, 2026

No comments: