Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Figure of the Day: Day 980: Magnaguard Droid

MAGNAGUARD General Grievous' Droid Bodyguard
The Clone Wars Basic Figures
Item No.:
Asst. 87638 No. 87942
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #22
Includes: Staff, rocket launcher, rocket
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $7.99
Availability: January 2009
Appearances: The Clone Wars (Film, 2008+ TV series)

Bio: The bodyguard droids for General Grievous are trained by the cyborg general himself. He has had their memories and combat libraries wiped clean so that the droids can learn battle techniques rather than rely on stored programs. This has resulted in more sophisticated-- and lethal-- droids. (Taken from the figure's cardback.)

Commentary: Hasbro's Magnaguard droid action figures have been all over the map in terms of quality, and their names. Fans initially balked at the lack of a cloak on this new, animated-style figure mostly because of the fact that it meant that we would soon be subjected to the dreaded, inevitable double-dip. The good news is that this figure is so gosh darn likable that I don't care. Sure, it isn't perfect, but jeepers does it ever have a good personality.

First, let's talk articulation. Hasbro managed to hide the wrist joints so they're pretty much invisible. The elbow articulation and shoulder joints are similarly disguised, and the clever waist joint is difficult for me to describe beyond... well, it's clever. The neck joint is a standard ball joint, and the hips are normal hips-- no knees, no ankles. The figure has big honking feet which essentially give this figure a tiny bit of that urban vinyl figure the kids all seem to love these days, and while I hate those kids, I do enjoy how they help this figure look like he has a bit more substance than the movie-based bodyguards.

The deco is stunning. The multiple levels of silver and grey give this figure a used, dirty appearance with bright red eyes to give it life. If you open this figure and play with it, I can assure you that you will enjoy it. It's really fun to look at and to pose, and it may be the first separatist droid I've honestly felt I should have a small army of in ages. My only complaint today is the lack of leg articulation and the missing cloak, but those will no doubt come with a future rerelease. (I'm used to the abuse at this point.) If the figure fits in the canopy of the upcoming starfighter designed just for him, it'll be perfect in my eyes. I can't wait to give it a try!

Oh, and the blaster makes him fall flat on his face. You should probably just throw that in a box and ignore it.

Collector's Notes: This is a new figure, and one I really dig. I could take or leave a lot of figures, but this is one I can't ignore. Love it. Want lots.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 980: March 17, 2009

No comments: