Thursday, July 2, 2009

Figure of the Day: Day 1,057: Anakin Skywalker (Tatooine Attack)

ANAKIN SKYWALKER Tatooine Attack
Saga Basic Figures Collection 1
Item No.:
Asst. 84851 No. 84906
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #0227
Includes: Lightsaber, weapon rack, rifle, gaffi stick
Action Feature: Jedi Power Kick!
Retail: $4.99
Availability: Fall 2002
Appearances: Attack of the Clones

Bio: Thrust into the midst of galactic turmoil when he is assigned to protect Senator Padme Amidala, Anakin returns home to Tatooine in an unsanctioned mission. (Taken from the figure's cardback.)

Commentary: When this Anakin Skywalker came out I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I guess this hasn't changed much. On paper, it's great-- he has tons of accessories, added articulation, a magnet in his hand, and an improved likeness. He also has soft goods used for part of his robes, which makes movement work better. That's the good news-- unfortunately the action feature mucks up his ability to stand properly and that knee joint doesn't do him any favors. His added arm articulation doesn't make up for a strangely posed body, and that Jedi Power Kick? I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right. Hasbro's attempt to be clever basically mucked this one up. Thankfully the magnet basically works just fine, and will still grab the lightsaber if you get close enough. That's an action feature that always makes me happy.

I like this figure because it's a cheap source of extra Tusken gear, and because it's an OK Jedi figure. It is not impressive, although I would say that the Attack of the Clones-style Anakin Skywalker still needs work. The Evolutions figure has a strangely painted face and an awkward cloth robe over his body, and all the rest have something with them that makes them a less than fantastic toy. So while this one isn't great, I wouldn't really suggest any of them to you as being perfect just yet. Hasbro has room to improve here still. You don't really need this one unless you want a genocidal Anakin or really dig the pose or accessories. You can make this figure look good if you mess with it, but as a toy he was never really any fun for me.

Collector's Notes: A one-timer, available in late 2002 and then finito.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 1,057: July 2, 2009

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other good thing about the magnet hands was the chrome/metal lightsabers that added a little more realism to the toys. Like when Lego still had the chrome saber handles.

Ben Carthage said...

I think this was one of the few Anakins I bypassed. I never thought they did him well (as an adult) until the Evolutions one, which, from the sound of it, I liked more than you. But aside from the gear, this one's not so great.

Unknown said...

I actually really liked this figure when it came out because I thought he was quite an improvement over the "Hangar Duel" figure in terms of scale and likeness. My problem with all of the AOTC Anakins though is the coloring - except for the very end of the movie, I always thought his costume looked more red and black than varying shades of brown.

The Right Noble Lord Edzo said...

He works just fine by me, given that I never open my figs. But I agree with Ben Carthage that the Evolutions AOTC Anakin is probably the best overall likeness. I also love the 2008 Order 66 Anakin.