Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Figure of the Day: Day 1,305: Giran

GIRAN The Other Rancor Keeper
The Legacy Collection Basic Figures
Item No.:
Asst. 87535 No. 93132
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #BD21
Includes: Hood, pike, droid piece
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $7.99
Availability: September 2009
Appearances: Return of the Jedi

Bio: Giran is a Nikto Guard who helps Malakili take care of the vicious rancor in the chamber below Jabba's lair. A warrior species with a reputation for shady activities, the Nikto are loyal to the Hutts and work in Jabba's palace and on his sail barge. (Taken from the figure's packaging.)

Image: Adam Pawlus' yard.

Commentary: If I had a short list of "best figure of 2009" I would put Giran right at the top. From the moment I opened the package, it consistently impressed me. At first I thought it was lacking in articulation, but Hasbro just did a really bang-up job hiding some of its 14 joints. The hood almost looked non-removable, but it comes right off if you'd like to have him go hatless. The sculpt is remarkable, with magnificent skin texturing augmented by great paint. His eyes are shiny, and unusually full of life for a small plastic toy based on a rubber mask. He comes with a pike weapon so he could double as a Skiff Guard in addition to being a rancor keeper, if you're so inclined. I was just so consistently pleased with every aspect of this release that, sadly, I don't have a lot more to say about him other than fans of quality product should get him. Why not? For $8, he's really well done and one of the few figures that I bought since the last price increase where I can just look at it and say "oh, that's why this one costs more. It's good."

Collector's Notes: Surprisingly (to me) this was a weak seller in my local market-- he was one of the last remaining figures, along with Malakili. Don't you people have any taste?

--Adam Pawlus


Day 1,305: June 15, 2010

1 comment:

Bravo said...

One of 2009 highlights to be sure. The head sculpt, the removable hood, the detail, the nice weapon not made of gummy bear material.

But if they were gonna give him knee joints, they should've been more functional. The elbows could stand to bend in more, as well. While I understand they probably weigh asthetics vs. articulation, it's funny that big headed cantina chick can get in more action poses than a Jabba goon. (Which one reason I'd place her above him in the best 0f 2009 list)