Thursday, June 2, 2011

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 1,557: R5-P9

R5-P9 Ekelarc Yong's Astromech Droid
The Legacy Collection Battle Over Endor
Item No.:
Asst. 97639 No. 21451
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #1 of 2
Includes: Removable antenna, 3 additional figures
Action Feature: Twist dome for bad motivator
Retail: $24.99-$31.99
Availability: January 2011
Appearances: Return of the Jedi

Bio: Bravery. Skill. Loyalty. These are defining characteristics of the starfighter pilots on both sides of the conflict at the Battle of Endor. Whether they are Rebels or Imperials, these elite pilots are all focused on the same goal: victory. They are deeply aware that they are deciding the future of the galaxy, and will do everything they can to complete their mission. (Taken from the figure's packaging. Note, there's no character-specific copy on the packaging.)

Image: The backdrop from the packaging.

Commentary: As much as I love my astromech droids, I'm often surprised by what Hasbro elects to give us. While I do have some esoteric robots on my wish list, I can assure you that R5-P9 was not one of them. I didn't even know the name of his pilot companion, Ekelarc Yong, until I got the figure in my hands. I appreciate Hasbro's production of obscure designs to make things interesting for people like me, but seriously, who the Hell is this guy?

A repaint of the 2006 R5-D4 figure (which itself was a remold of the 2004 Vintage R2-D2), the figure has a removable third leg, a removable antenna, and a pop-up "bad motivator." The panel on the left-hand side of the droid is glued down, but the deco is really nice. There's a bit of grime on his body, a little grey and silver paint, and some nice big silver eyes. He's a cutie. I wouldn't define him as an essential purchase unless you're a droid fan... and I am, so I really do love having this guy around.

Collector's Notes: This set is in stores now, and is still really easy to find. If you don't get one, well, don't blame me.

--Adam Pawlus



Day 1,557: June 2, 2011

No comments: