Help Figure of the Day!
We get a piece of every purchase you make from our sponsor through this link.

If you were going to buy something anyway, click here first and it helps power the site! Thanks for your support!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 1,730: Anakin Skywalker

ANAKIN SKYWALKER Ambush on the Vulture's Claw
The Clone Wars Battle Packs
Item No.:
Asst. 87752 No. 87988
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: n/a
Includes: Blaster
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $24.99
Availability: Fall 2009
Appearances: The Clone Wars

Bio: Anakin wears a rough poncho to hide his identity as a Jedi from the Trandoshan trader. (Taken from the figure's packaging.)

Image: Adam's desk.

Commentary: I love this set, but Anakin Skywalker isn't necessarily the selling point. Gha Nachkt was amazingly cool, but Anakin is basically more of the same. Basically, it's the 2008 figure with a poncho-- it's cloth, it has a nice stripe, and it's what makes this a new figure. It's not quite "New Hat Malibu Stacy" but... well, it sort of is. Hasbro has always been skilled at making a gift set where there's one cool, unquestionably new figure plus three or so others which you could probably take or leave. Anakin is one of those-- I like that it exists, but it's not like the poncho is a fantastic extra, it's just pretty much OK. If you don't have any Anakin figures, I'd suggest just getting this set because it's a fine way to get him, plus a few others, at an OK price.

Collector's Notes: While extremely hard to get when it came out, the set doesn't seem to be selling for a big markup on eBay. Few are selling at all due to the high starting bids, but you should be able to get it at or under $30. I would say this set's parts are basically worth $30ish, but mostly because I'm dumb enough to think $20-$25 would be a worthy price for the super-cool Gha Nachkt.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 1,730: January 31, 2012

1 comment:

The Right Noble Lord Edzo said...

I'll admit it, and I don't care who knows: The poncho on Anakin (and Ahsoka) was a *big* selling point for me. Yes, I primarily bought the BP for Gha Nachkt (who didn't?), but I loved those ponchos. Don't know why. I don't even *own* a poncho. I'll tell you something else: I absolutely *had* to own Qui-Gon Jinn in his Mos Espa poncho disguise. Maybe I have a Star Wars figure "poncho fetish," if there is such a thing. Well ... I guess there is now.