Monday, February 18, 2013

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 2,004: Green R5-Series Astromech Droid

R5-SERIES ASTROMECH DROID White Dome with Green Panels
Star Tours Droid Factory Customizable Figure
Item No.:
No. ???
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: n/a
Includes: Head, 2 legs, torso, central third leg, optional hat
Action Feature: Comes apart
Retail: $10-$12
Availability: 2012
Appearances: n/a

Bio: These figures do not have specific packaging or configurations.  As such, we will be treating each dome as a unique "figure" as that part is the most plentiful.   At this time there are 25 domes and while Hasbro sometimes seems to indicate they are not Hasbro product, they do have Hasbro copyright markings and as such we are classifying them under the Hasbro banner.

Image: Adam's photo hole.

Commentary: It's a Green R5-Series Astromech Droid!  I approve of this one because it's fairly distinctive.  With R5-D4, R5-D8, and the red R5 from this very line I was pretty happy to see a very different, previously unseen color enter the mix.  Green!  How novel.  I like it.  There's not a lot to it, it's basically a factory-fresh sculpt sans antenna with a little silver and a green stripe around the top.  I selected a matching body, although a green body (rather than white) is also available.  This one looks vaguely 1970s though, minus the specific shade of green.  The Mrs. has dragged me to a few retro furniture stores and let me tell you, their green plastics from the 1970s? Wow.  This is almost too pretty.  I like how it adds a definite air of personality to the R5 class (which has historically not had a lot of variety) but like with all figures from this line, it's a huge pain in the neck to get.

Collector's Notes: It's funny, I love these more and have more contempt for how they're sold every time I do one.  I got like three more lined up.  I adore the concept, the pricing ain't bad, and frankly I'd be buying these all day long if it were a build-a-droid station in, let's say, Toys R Us.  Heck, even the big one in New York, this would be a nice thing to have there.   Thanks again to the kindness, patience, and general fearlessness of my near-breakdowns from Shannon, Mike, and the fine cast of Disney Hollywood Studios Orlando for helping me with these.  (But seriously, could you just sell a sack of parts so I don't need to dig through bins like some challenge on Double Dare?  I think the last 18 years have proven I don't have much personal dignity when it comes to toy hunting.)

--Adam Pawlus


Day 2,004: February 18, 2013


1 comment:

mikeskywalker1969 said...

Yeah, I dig it! I have this one myself!
Very cool! Continue posting these whenever you get them. I'm not tired of them.
Review on, sir!!