Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 2,020: Orimaarko (Prune Face)

ORIMAARKO  Return of the Jedi
The Vintage Collection Basic Figures
Item No.:
Asst. 37499 No. 39665
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #VC114
Includes: Cloak, rifle, pistol, commlink (I think)
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $9.99
Availability: October 2012
Appearances: Return of the Jedi

Bio: Celebrate the legendary Star Wars saga that changed the universe forever! This collection brings to life the incredible story of good versus evil that captured our imagination and took us to a galaxy far, far away. Iconic Star Wars heroes and villains are captured with incredible detail and premium features to commemorate each epic tale in the Star Wars saga. May the Force be with you!  (Taken from the figure's packaging.  No specific character information.)

Image: Adam's photo hole.

Commentary: If you told me in 1995, when I started picking up the new Kenner guys, that we'd all still be here doing this in 2005 I'd say you were nuts.  And if you told me that Orimaarko, the Prune Face guy from the 1980s who I had no idea where to find him in my old VHS tapes until I was like 10, I'd laugh at you. Seriously, I'm a bad person.   The line has shifted from "what's a surefire hit?" to "what should be a good seller?" to "whatever," and some of these figures are no doubt coming to pass because of their ease of development. The legs were on Major Panno and a Rebel Trooper before, and the bulk of the figure's build is Major Panno with a new head.  Between the two I like the design for Orimaarko more, but I was actually A-OK with my 1998 Kenner version of the figure too.

Complain as I do, it's a good figure.  Hasbro did a great job making sure the communicator deally fits in the cloth strap on the cloak, and that the weapons fit into the hands.  The head sculpt is good, the deco matches the still from the movie about as well as you might expect (I don't expect much camo on my cloth right now), and the little "pouch" on his chest looks pretty good.  There's only so much  you can do with fine stitching.  This figure sports 14 points of articulation and as such, hits all the high points most fans demand of their figures these days.  But is it fun?  Was anyone looking forward to it?  Not really.  But boy howdy, is that dirty green pattern on his pants cool or what?  Oh, I'd be a bad reviewer if I didn't mention that Hasbro's sculpt of his head looks more like a real person than the movie.  I don't know how it's even possible, but the rubbery mask looks like a rubbery mask and the action figure looks like an action figure of a real thing.  Does that make sense?  Mr. Peanut has never looked better.

Collector's Notes: The secondary market pretty much confirms that this wasn't a figure people were really wanting.  It's pretty cheap, and was even cheaper in December of last year.  I'm not saying don't buy it... just don't overpay for it.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 2,020: March 12, 2013

No comments: