Help Figure of the Day!
We get a piece of every purchase you make from our sponsor through this link.

If you were going to buy something anyway, click here first and it helps power the site! Thanks for your support!

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 2,082: Luke Skywalker (Saga Legends 2014)

LUKE SKYWALKER Jedi Knight
2013 Darth Vader Lava Line Look Saga Legends
Item No.:
Asst. A3857 No. A5917
Number: #SL14
Includes: Lightsaber
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: CDN $6.99
Availability: May 2014 (Canada)
Appearances: Return of the Jedi

Bio:Luke goes to the second Death Star for a final confrontation with Darth Vader.  When Luke refuses to turn to the dark side, a devastating Lightsaber battle ensues between father and son! (Taken from the figure's cardback.)

Image: Adam's photo lab.

Availability: At press time there is no concrete evidence of US-packaged figures on the market.   To date it appears that it is debuting in Canada, so keep an eye overseas.  I have not yet seen one in any packaging on eBay or Amazon.

Commentary: As a kid I wanted Luke Skywalker figures.  I had most of them as the line went on, but I didn't get some until years later.  This white-flapped Death Star version of Luke didn't even exist as a figure for quite some time, so seeing it today as a 5-jointed throwback is a real treat.   The sculpt is good, the paint is acceptable, and the ability to sit is good enough.  He has no problems standing, so he's a winner in my book.

The first thing I noticed about this figure is that the eye paint wasn't as perfect as I might like - it's not the worst Jedi Luke, but well, there's some real zingers in there.  His eye paint in this version is just a tiny bit too much - the top of the eyes seems to be painted larger than the eye sculpt, but the sculpt itself is exquisite.  There's a subtle mole on his left cheek I didn't notice until I put him under my desk lamp, with another similar marking just under his right eye.   The chin is good, the hair is good, really this figure is a redeco away form being excellent.  The torso is glossy and the limbs are more matte, with a white shirt flap.  The right glove, boots, and belt are glossy which was a real surprise for the so-called discount figure range, and this is certainly the best action figure Margaret Keane ever designed.

Luke's sculpt is pretty simple - he's skinny, and the outfit is more or less what you'd want in this figure.  I'm certainly satisfied with various silver snaps and buttons on his belt, giving the figure a little more detail than I would have expected.  He has no problem holding his green lightsaber, which has a silver grip and that gold bit near the emitter.   The flare on the blade seems more subtle than usual, too.  The figure passes the Landspeeder Test, so he may be a good vehicle pilot if you can find one.   It's a good figure if you like this kind of toy - and I do.  If you don't, well, I guess it won't matter to you that he isn't easy to get right now.   I'm glad I got one, and I hope Hasbro makes more figures similar to him in the future.

Collector's Notes: I have seen no online pre-sells for US packaging.  This pattern - Canadian or European releases followed by a US release much, much later - has happened a few times with Transformers lately, but there have also been quite a figure figures that started out in Europe and stayed there.   I'm not seeing on eBay, nor Amazon, so while it could just be early my paranoia kicked in early.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 2,082: June 3, 2014

No comments: