Friday, July 15, 2011

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 1,588: Clone Trooper Sinker

SINKER Ambush at Abregado
The Clone Wars Target Exclusive Battle Packs
Item No.:
Asst. 93349 No. 94237
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: n/a
Includes: Blaster, helmet, additional figures
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $24.99
Availability: November 2009
Appearances: The Clone Wars

Bio: The clone trooper's sense of humor helps ease everyone's tension as the survivors try to restore life support in the pod and fight the attacking battle droids. (Taken from the figure's packaging.)

Image: Adam Pawlus' backyard in Los Angeles a few months ago. Did I mention I do some of these in advance?

Commentary: Part of what makes collecting this line confusing for me is Hasbro's sometimes sudden decision to release several similar figures all at once-- Boost and Sinker are quite similar, save for the head. Both figures have 14 points of articulation and a removable helmet, while Sinker has grey hair and Boost has a pair of mohawks. I think that's the term. I don't know much about hair terminology, which you would know if you had the misfortune of actually having met me. (I take the same approach to my hair as someone who might harvest a sheep's wool. But I digress.) The figure is nifty because he's actually a little older in appearance, he has a few more wrinkles and a bit of a widow's peak going on. The armor is similar (but not identical) to the Space Gear Clone Trooper sold in early 2008, minus the jetpacks and whatnot. This figure is worth getting as part of the set, but I doubt that anyone but Clone completists would go after this set. I like it, but with the vast number of similarly decorated troopers just one might be enough for you. (It wasn't for me, though.)

Collector's Notes: The individual Sinker figure goes for about $9-$15 on eBay, while the entire boxed set of four figures (Sinker, Boost, Plo Koon, and a Rocket Battle Droid) is about $20. Don't be cheap-- if you want Sinker, and the prices are still this good, buy the whole set. It's not worth saving the $5, you'll want both Clones.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 1,588: July 15, 2011

No comments: