Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 1,596: IG97

IG97 and Rom Mohx
The Legacy Collection Wal-Mart Comic Packs
Item No.:
Asst. 93269 No. 93609
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: n/a
Includes: Blaster pistol, antenna, backpack, Rom Mohc figure, comic book
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $14.96
Availability: March 2010
Appearances: Tales

Bio: Rom Mohc is an Imperial general involved in the testing of advanced battle droids known as Dark Troopers. One of these droids ends up on Tatooine and becomes activated by scavenging Jawas. The Dark Trooper attacks three friends camping in the desert. But things change when the prototype encounters a clumsy IG97 Battle Droid on Tatooine, and the machines battle each other. (Taken from the figure's packaging.)

Image: Adam Pawlus' former back yard. Lots of neat stuff, there.

Commentary: This IG97 figure is pretty slick-- it's a reuse of the "Arena" Battle Droid body, which means it has articulated ankles and lots of mobility in the arms, plus a waist joint. A waist joint! Hasbro gave it a normal Battle Droid backpack plus the OOM-9-style antenna, so you can display it however you see fit. The body mold is a reuse, but the head is new, based on the neat (but goofy) artwork seen in the Tales comic book from which the robot originated. His added articulation makes him lots of fun, the first thing I did was to take a picture of him teabagging Rom Mohc because I'm an adult. I love comic-inspired figures so this set is a must-buy for someone like me, and I think most of you will appreciate the extensive articulation, spare parts, and companion Rom Mohc figure. The droid is molded in tan with some dark brown paint to bring out the detail, plus he has bright blue eyes which always look nice. If you can get it cheap, I'd say get it, but it probably isn't worth premium prices on eBay. It's a good figure, but let's face it-- this Droid body was also used for the 2010-2011 Saga Legends 2-packs so there's a real question of value here.

Collector's Notes: This set was nearly impossible to get when I lived in Los Angeles, and then I found out it was a pegwarmer in Phoenix. Go figure, right? Today the set is roughly worth its retail asking price, and you might even find it at the right Wal-Mart. But then again, I know where I can still find 2007 comic packs at Wal-Marts, so.

--Adam Pawlus


Day 1,596: July 27, 2011

1 comment:

Bill White said...

Just got this set (for under six bucks on Amazon!) and this guy is pretty neat. I can't for the life of me, though, find a waist joint. Am I dim (most likely) or do I have a really stuck joint?