Friday, May 11, 2012

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 1,803: Anakin Skywalker

ANAKIN SKYWALKER Peasant Disguise
The Vintage Collection Basic Figures
Item No.:
Asst. 97568 No. 24991
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #VC32
Includes: Lightsaber, lightsaber hilt, poncho
Action Feature: Removable helmet
Retail: $7.99
Availability: January 2011
Appearances: Attack of the Clones

Bio:  Celebrate the legendary Star Wars saga that changed the universe forever! This collection brings to life the incredible story of good versus evil that captured our imagination and took us to a galaxy far, far away. Iconic Star Wars heroes and villains are captured with incredible detail and premium features to commemorate each epic tale in the Star Wars saga. May the Force be with you!    (Taken from the figure's packaging.)

Image: Adam Pawlus' kitchen, badly framed on a G.I. Joe insert.

Commentary:  This Anakin Skywalker is a remake of an odd-yet-fun 2002 release of the Jedi in peasant gear.  The 2002 one had a box, a blaster, a magnetic hand, and a lightsaber embedded in his arm like the original Kenner Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and Obi-Wan Kenobi figures.  It was weird, but so dang delightful it's hard to hate on it.  The 2012 release lacks all charm, it just shows how Hasbro can just give collectors what we ask for, and how that can be boring.  The head sculpt is acceptable, although the coloring seems a little off.  Lighter hair on this newly-sculpted head would probably look better, or perhaps darker skin.  Either way, the color is off.   The poncho looks great, and the outfit under the poncho is quite ornate.   The sculpt is good, the "peasant" shirt pattern looks incredibly expensive.  I'm not entirely sure how he or Padme qualify as refugees when their wardrobes look more expensive than anything I've ever owned.  The intricate detail on the shirt is sculpted nicely, and the belt pattern is pretty spiffy.  The boots, while good, look like other Anakin boots from this movie-- not bad, but nothing special.  (Which, I admit, is a dumb thing to say.  "Well, it's authentic and super-articulated and perfect, and that's good, I guess.")

Hasbro did a great job engineering this figure, and a repaint of it would probably look even better.  It's hardly an essential outfit, particularly when Anakin could probably use a better-looking figure based on his normal Jedi outfit from this movie.  Still, I'm amazed they did it and it's a great upgrade from the 2002 figure if you hate the fun original.   Oh, and he can sit pretty well, too.

Collector's Notes: This wave sold surprisingly poorly, if the unlimited supply of it at T.J. Maxx/Marshalls stores is any indication earlier this year.  You should have no problem getting one cheaply, and for five bucks it's a fantastic and amazing figure you shouldn't blink at  buying.  As we approach $10, let your taste guide you.

--Adam Pawlus



Day 1,803: May 11, 2012

3 comments:

Cobra Commander said...

After reading your site for I think 15 years or so at this point it's really becoming a bore.

We all get it, you hate super articulated figures. So why do you still collect?

That is what most fans all want. The 2002 version of this sucked when it came out. Thankfully Hasbro has finally went back and made a perfect new one that we all can pose however we want and it looks like it stepped out of the movie..how dare them!!

Adam16bit said...

You're right. I've never cared for articulated figures.

I guess I could turn and ask you, if you've been reading me for 15 years and you hate it, why do you keep reading? :)

I like super articulated figures, I like stiffer figures. I like vintage packaging, I like new packaging. I'm sure you can pick out examples of me loving or hating all sorts of things over the last couple thousand articles I've written about this hobby and I thank you for your continued readership, or lack thereof, whichever makes you happiest.

I found this figure an odd mix of well-made and kind of boring, which (as you read) I was having some issues resolving in my head. How can a figure be great-- super-articulated, great sculpting, nice accessories-- yet kind of boring? I don't necessarily see upgraded figures as a thrill (or necessary), and I don't necessarily see downgraded figures as superior. This one in particular just didn't smack me upside the head like, say, the 2011 ARC Trooper or the Dagobah Pilot Luke.

There's more to toy collecting than posing my figures on the shelf, I guess. I like those ones too, but some of my favorite figures have few to no joints (Battle Beasts from Hasbro, OMFG from October Toys.) And some of my favorite toys have tons of joints (Mattel's Masters of the Universe Classics, Hasbro's Xevoz.) I just didn't get a shot of enthusiasm from this Anakin, for whatever reason. Lightning can't strike 1,800 times.

Star Wars Collecting Info said...

To each his own. Collecting is about likes and dislikes of what we collect, but we continue to collect cause we love it. It is great that we have blogs out there that review figures for us collectors who want to know. Keep up the great work!