Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Star Wars Figure of the Day: Day 1,806: Kaink

KAINK Star Tours
Star Tours Boarding Party
Item No.:
No. 19536
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: n/a
Includes: Additional figures, cloth headdress
Action Feature: n/a
Retail: $34.99
Availability: May 2010
Appearances:  Star Tours

Bio:    Kaink is the Ewok high preistess and the village's legend-keeper. She carries a magical staff that can emit a beam of mystical force. She often accompanies the other Ewoks on their missions then returns to the village to share the stories of their adventures.   (Taken from the figure's packaging.)

Image: Adam Pawlus' box for something or other.

Commentary:  I'm of two minds about Kaink, because while I'm delighted Hasbro gave us the relatively obscure Ewok priestess from the TV movie The Ewok Adventure, it's pretty half-assed.   The figure is basically just a repaint of Keoulkeech (from the Marvel comic pack) with a new hat.  That's it.  It's a nice-looking Ewok in its own right, but as Kaink? I'm not buying it.   I mean, OK, maybe she wasn't wearing the dress in the safety video, but c'mon man!  It's not like you're going to do another Kaink! Why not get her costume right?  She's a little too tall, and the paint job is a little too bright.  There's a lot of white paint here, and she looks like she has a moustache.  If this was meant to be some guy Ewok Hasbro made up, I'd say it was a neat, if weird, figure.  I mean, Keoulkeech has smooshed ears, which seems pointless when you're making a figure who has a hat with ear holes.   So, arch.  The paint job on the body is good enough, as it's greying and clearly meant to be an older character.

With none of her magical junk, or the right outfit, or a good face paint job, your main reason to buy this figure is to pick up another random Ewok.  If you really want a Kaink, well, this doesn't count.  I know someone at Hasbro is probably reading this and laughing-- rest assured, I'm smirking writing this, fully realizing I'm complaining that the obscure TV-movie Ewok from a crappy telefilm that's arguably worth never seeing is not  up to my standards, well, eh.   When it comes from 1980s-era Star Wars I know we probably won't get a lot of retreads, so I'm going to have to deal with it.  At least Hasbro is making what seems to be a decent Kneesaa this year, and this set does have some redeeming points.  I just would only suggest getting this if you want more Ewoks and you aren't particular if they're representative of anything.
  
Collector's Notes: If memory serves, this set was abundant and possibly even marked down in late 2010.   Today, the five-figure boxed set with Ree Yees, Chewbacca, the Star Tours Officer, Kaink, and the amazing Teek are selling for as little as $6.  Even with $9 shipping, that's still insanely cheap.

--Adam Pawlus



Day 1,806: May 16, 2012

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was a dissappointment.
Kaink is such a distinctive looking Ewok and I've wanted a plastic version since 1985 when I'd sub in Teebo with a home made hood for her (alongside General Madine wearing a jacket subbing for Wilfred Brimly as Noah and Warok standing in for Chukha Trok).
Decades later Hasbro's version isn't much better than what I made myself as a kid.
At least Teek is awesome.