Asst. 97639 No. 21452 
Manufacturer: Hasbro
Number: #2 of 2
Includes: Removable third leg, 3 additional figures
Action Feature: Sensorcope pops up as you rotate his dome
Retail: $24.99
Availability: January 2011
Appearances: Return of the Jedi

Bio: Bravery.  Skill.  Loyalty.  These are defining characteristics of the starfighter pilots on both sides of the conflict at the Battle of Endor.  Whether they are Rebels or Imperials, these elite pilots are all focused on the same goal: victory.  They are deeply aware that they are deciding the future of the galaxy, and will do everything they can to complete their mission.    (Taken from the figure's packaging.  Note, there's no character-specific copy on the packaging.)

Image: Adam Pawlus' Ultarama.

Commentary:  Part of the problem with Star Wars is that as it goes on, Hasbro proves that they're super-cool about listening to our requests.  "We want any Rebel pilot or astromech droid you can give us!"  Hasbro said "OK!" and delivered R2-T7, a droid so obscure that as far as I know he never really appeared anywhere prior to getting an action figure.   It's obscure, and according to the box this really obscure droid belongs to an equally obscure pilot (also requested by fans) named Grizz Frix.  Based on the 2004 R2-D2 Vintage mold, you basically know what to expect by now-- you get your third leg, a sensorscope which can pop up, and of course there's a removable panel which, once again, Hasbro glued down.  (I wish they didn't.)

The deco is quite good.  The dome has a sort of gunmetal grey paint on it, with black panel markings.  His various "facial" panels are red, as is the light under his bright black eye.  A couple of lights to the side of the dome are blue, and the end result is a striking design which, as always, I'm happy to have.   I don't know that this is an essential purchase-- the "Battle Over Endor" sets are some of the most obscure releases from Hasbro which still have a foot in the films-- but I'm crazy about Return of the Jedi stuff and any new droid I can get is going to make me happy.

Collector's Notes: The sets came in early 2011 and had quite the range of prices-- at first, $24.99, but fans have reported them as much as $10 higher.  Today the sets are about $20-$35, and if you can grab these sets for $20 you should consider yourself fortunate.  I mean, a box of pilots and a robot for $20?  How can you go wrong?

--Adam Pawlus

Day 1,814: May 28, 2012

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Three astromechs in about a week on Figure of the Day!